Friday, September 5, 2014

LUCAS | 10 MONTHS

The older that he gets, the more I fall in love with him... GAH!

Although, I would love for him to stay a baby forever, I know that some of my favorite times with Brynn were when she was in that 10 to 18 month age range. L is already becoming so independent, and I'm so excited to watch him take on more... I think he's ready for that too, but I'm still all-  "Oh my goodness, how is he going to hit his head this time?" -- I mean, this kid seriously takes at least 5 bumps to the head every day. The kids will be playing "tents" together, which is a new favorite, and I look up to see 3 red goiters on his head! Of course, I am ready to take all of this worry down a few pegs, but that voice inside me-- the voice that just knew when he hit his head the first time-- yeah, she still nags at me. There's a mixture there of "Mom" worry, and also "PICU Worker" worry. It's tough to balance them out sometimes, but I have been on a rather slow and gradual journey to find some trust, if only for my own sanity. Ugh. Boys!

L reminds me a lot of his sister when she was that age, but he definitely has a lot more of his daddy in his personality (Hence, the knocking his head a million times and his sweet-as-sugar disposition)! I am so excited to see him learn to walk and learn to talk... It's all coming so fast.


I just can't get enough of that sweet smile...

Height & Weight: Well, this baby boy is not missing any meals, if you know what I mean... 22.63lbs (75th%) and 29 inches long (65th%). He has certainly recovered his stats from his last weigh-in.


Sleep: Two naps a days and 12 hours at night... He plays so hard that it doesn't take a lot to convince him to take a little break. I very seldom get any resistance when he goes down for a nap...


 this boy talks about his "da-da" all day long... 
when we call him at work, L has the most adorable grin on his face
as soon as the phone starts ringing! i love watching their sweet father/son moments.

 His scuffed-up knees, from crawling.

 he is still quite the daredevil... he is doing his best to start taking steps.

Diet: What doesn't this kid eat? He is not a picky eater at all... He eats everything, except for the obvious- raw berries, shellfish, eggs, and pea- and tree nuts. The word "bottomless pit" comes to mind... One meal usually consists of an entire serving of baby food + cooked or fresh fruits and veggies (usually from my plate- avocado, banana, green beans, broccoli, sweet potato, etc) + puff cereal + teething wafer. His favorite food in this world is... Banana. If he even sees a banana, he wants it! His second-ish word is actually "na- na", which is seriously the cutest!

Clothes: He is wearing 12-18 months clothes. Can still fit into some 6-12 month tops, but cannot squeeze into any 6-12 month bottoms.

 sibling love.
One of my favorite things about their relationship is Brynn's desire to keep him safe. She loves to "mother" him-- which is more or less bossing him around, but in a loving way... He doesn't seem to mind at all-- He thinks Sissy hung the moon, and I love watching him try to imitate her every move. He has always stopped to stare when she starts dancing, and that still hasn't changed. The adoring look on his face gives him away every time. He has started trying to "dance" to the music too.

He has also become her biggest ally. When Brynn starts to cry, he is so overly sympathetic to her that he starts to "cry" too... He just can't stand to see her upset (or in trouble, which is a fairly frequent situation as of late). While she is serving her time on the Time Out mat, I literally have to put him in another room-- otherwise, he has to be right there with her.

They also love to chase each other around, which is so fun to watch... Lucas will take off crawling and as Brynn crawls swiftly after him, and gains on him, they both start giggling hysterically. It's so contagious.

as soon as I started snapping pictures of him, I hear her come in and say,
"I wanna take pictures with Bubby too! Can I help make him smile?"


Lucas' Likes: His Daddy. His Sister. Giving Oz-Dog the sweetest "pets". Being chased by his sister. Watching the Weather Channel. Splashing in water. Typing on Daddy's computer. Pulling the cling out from under the rugs. Cooking meals (he is obsessed-- which is 100% from his Daddy. Allen literally had him pushing the buttons on the food processor the other day-- he loved it!). Tickles. Bananas. Playing Peek-a-boo.

Dislikes: Having off-limit items confiscated from him. Being on the opposite side of the baby gates (especially when we are cooking). Diaper changes. Not having his bottle exactly when he wants it (usually as we are putting pajamas and diapers on post-bath).

Oz-Dog love.

"a little to the left, kid..." - Oz Dog


Comparison to Big Sis:
Brynn was about 17lbs and 28inches at 10 months.
She had 3 teeth, while Lucas only has 2 so far.
She was waving "Bye bye" and saying "Da-Da" and "Bye bye"
She taught herself how to "meow" at Grammy's cats.
She was still mostly army crawling, and pulling up on everything... Lucas is very close to walking!


Talking & Walking: Lucas is saying "Da-Da" a lot. He also just started saying "Na-Na"-- but we haven't figured out if it's from "banana" (his favorite meal) or if he's trying to start saying "Ma-Ma"-- or a combination. Sometimes, if he's calling for me, he will yell "Na-Na!", but he also says it when he is asking for more banana. Funny enough, Brynn has always had a hard time distinguishing Ns and Ms, so I wonder if it's not the same for him... So far, he isn't waving or clapping, which has me concerned (mostly because of his previous head injury), but we are working on it. Truth be told, we don't do a lot of waving or clapping around here, so I'm hoping that adding it into our routine will help solve the problem. Dr. Hauser mentioned that he is so focused on mobility, which may be a contributing factor to the delay... He is soooo close to walking. He can stand up from a crouching position, completely unassisted. He is still working on his balance to stand for more than a few seconds, but he is also very eager to start taking steps. There have been a couple of instances where he will take a step or two between furniture or between Mommy and Daddy... He is almost there!

 be still my heart! daddy's genes are peeking out in this shot... those eyes are my kryptonite.

he has always loved feeling vibrations.
i used to sing him lullabies and rock him to sleep every night,
and he always had to have his hand on my lips-- or my lips on his head. He is very soothed by it.


happy 10 months, lucas!

we love you so much, baby boy!

No comments: