Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I Do Not Have Baby Fever...

No, really...
I don't.

If I had a penny for every time I've been asked when we're going to make Brynn a BIG SISTER... I would be taking a shopping spree at the Whalers Village in Ka'anapali Beach on Maui (one of my favorite places on Earth)!

I'll admit that there have been temptations, especially lately, given that LITERALLY every person that we know (bloggy friends included-- Lauren, Natalie, Liz, Michelle, Katie, Joeylee, etc.) has either recently had a baby or is currently expecting one... But it's so exciting to sit back and watch everyone experience that for themselves! It's such a miracle and such a blessing... And who doesn't want that for the people they care about the most?

The simple fact of the matter is that we just aren't there yet.

I never really thought it was necessary to explain the decisions in our personal life to other people; However, with each passing comment or question, it's becoming a little more frustrating to simply just shrug it off...

OUR REASONS?

Well, first and foremost, we own a house we don't live in... and live in a house we don't own. And if it were to be the case that we could buy a house tomorrow, we still haven't agreed on where we will live in this area. New Harmony? Evansville? Somewhere in-between? We just haven't decided yet...

Secondly... While we're in the midst of Toddlerhood, I'm just not ready to start the whole process over again. I definitely admire anyone who has the courage to do so, but I am enjoying my time alone with Brynn... And my dream is for her to be old enough to understand and enjoy a new baby as much as we do! :) I think that everyone has their opinions about how they want to "space out" their children, so I'm not judging... And I hope that no one feels the need to judge us for ours either.

Thirdly... We have always planned on TWO & THROUGH, so what's the rush? I'm definitely not afraid of turning 30 in a couple of months... And I'm not afraid to have children in my 30s either. I'm also not the type to think that I have complete control over every aspect of my life (something we were definitely reminded of A LOT these last two years), and I can only pray that GOD has a wonderful plan for us... Whether or not it coincides with what we have planned, can be by His grace alone.

And lastly,
Today was the little glimpse that I needed to see what life with a toddler and an infant would be like...
Don't get me wrong... We had a great day!
My (almost) 6 month-old niece, Arianna and Brynn were both perfect angels!
But I still ended the day in a hot bath with a glass of wine... Every 30-45 minutes, hearing Brynn crying over the monitor (because she's still teething), and thinking to myself--- What if I had an infant who needed to be given solids and bottles, and bathed and put to bed too? What would I do? What would I feel like? Could I really be ready for that?

A look back in my iPhone photos definitely tempted me to say, "YES"
(I MEAN, LOOK AT THOSE SWEET FACES...)
... but the answer is "NO."

Today was so much fun, and I definitely would love to do it again... But for it to be a permanent presence in our house? We're just not ready for that yet.
 
But I certainly can't wait to snuggle with our second like this...

Thank you, Little A, for letting Auntie Em snuggle with you all day! :)
xoxo

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post! Thanks for being so honest and real.

If we had it our way, we probably would've had a lot more space between our two [16 mo. apart]...

Caution: stay away from the Mirena IUD, it SO did not work for us! But we've already decided that we're through.

'two & through' I like that hehe. :) But having a toddler AND a new baby isn't easy, and takes a bit to get used to.

xo Shar

Katiern827 said...

I love this. Everyone is entitled to their own life "plan" and it's not the same for all. Every "plan" is the right one for each one of us. More than anything it really truly is His plan in the end. I'm sorry you are questioned so frequently on this subject...I definitely know what you mean! It looks like you had a great day with both girls and B will be THE BEST big sister one day when you're all good and ready!

Kate @ Daffodils said...

I can't tell you how I often I get the 'so when's the next baby?' or even worse 'how bably do you want a girl?'- people need to leave it alone! I am enjoying every second of my time with the boys and our plans for the next are personal. But I do like all your reasons for not being ready for a second and I bet it feels go you and hubby just to have them written out as good reminders when those sweet infants start cuddling with you :)Thanks for your honesty!

Unknown said...

This is a great post! You have to do what's best for you! I get asked all the time when I'm going to have my first baby. I'm 30 already & we don't own a house & will likely have to move in 2 years (my husband is doing his residency in pediatrics right now) so we have lots to consider that others might not when we're planning our family. Everyone is different! Good for you for deciding the right time for YOU!

joannamae31 said...

Yeah I agree with that God has a specific purpose to us as individual.
Interesting and inspiring story you had. Thanks for sharing. God bless your family.

A webmaster of taufe baby

MeaganMusing said...

I totally get this. I was happy with our spacing - Andrew was 22 months when I got pregnant with Caroline but I can see how waiting a little longer would have been really nice. And what a fun day you had with your toddler and your baby! :)

Misty Marie said...

great post! New follower and mommy of 3 under 3!
Misty @ http://monkeysandtutus.blogspot.com

Joanna said...

I'm a new follower - great post!

joanna-dan.blogspot.com